Connect with us

News

We won’t play until he leaves! *Spain’s W’Cup team strikes against Rubiales over ‘unholy kiss’

Published

on

Opposition against Luis Rubiales Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) President, have dug deeper with all 23 players of Spain’s World Cup-winning squad vowing on Friday not to future in any further game until he leaves, as controversy over his act kissing Jenni Hermoso while celebrating the teams historic feat in Australia recently.

Hermoso, the captain of the team, who is at the centre of the controversy that has been raging after collecting a kiss directly in the mouth by the RFEF President, in a statement via her union FTPRO, on Friday, denied Rubiales’ claim that she consented to his kiss during Spain’s World Cup final celebrations.

Against the backdrop of the claim on Friday by Rubiales, who dismissed calls for him to step down as a campaign of “social assassination” by “false feminists,” Hermoso had released a joint statement via her union FUTPRO on Friday co-signed by Spain’s entire World Cup squad, as well as 58 former players, who said they would not return to play for the national team while Rubiales remained in charge.

It follows a week of controversy, criticism and widespread condemnation of Rubiales’ behaviour after Spain’s World Cup win in Sydney.

Advertisement

Rubiales, had said: “I want to clarify, as you can see in the images, that at no time did I consent to the kiss that he gave me. I won’t tolerate that my word is called into question, and even less so that words are invented which I didn’t say.”

Hermoso and her teammates called for “real change to help the national team to keep growing, to be able to bring this great success to the generations to come” and said they would not play for Spain while “the current management” remains at the RFEF.

See also  From Change Agenda, Next Level, Renewed Hope, Tinubu to launch ‘National Value Charter’

The president of Spain’s Sports Council (CSD) and its Secretary of State for Sport, Victor Francos, has confirmed that the CSD is seeking to remove Rubiales by bringing a complaint to the country’s Administrative Sports Court (TAD).

“This assembly, far from resolving the situation, increased the controversy,” Francos said. “The explanations given [by Rubiales] aren’t sufficient. The CSD today begins the procedure to suspend Luis Rubiales immediately from the RFEF presidency. … As the person responsible for Spanish sport I have to apologise to the players. They didn’t deserve this this week.

“Neither the CSD nor its president can remove [Rubiales]. I can’t sack anybody. But we can take the case to TAD if we believe a serious offence has been committed, and TAD can approve it or not.”

Advertisement

Rubiales had been widely expected to announce his resignation on Friday, but instead he used his platform at the federation’s assembly to attempt to justify his actions and attack his critics.

A series of statements condemning his response followed from Spanish clubs, players, politicians and governing bodies.

Ballon d’Or winner Alexia Putellas described the situation as “unacceptable,” while World Cup MVP Aitana Bonmatí posted on X, formerly Twitter, that “there are limits that can’t be crossed and we can’t tolerate.”

“Everybody saw what happened. You [Hermoso] are the victim. I’m with you, friend,” defender Irene Paredes wrote.

Real Betis forward Borja Iglesias said he would not consider playing for the Spain men’s national team until the situation is resolved.

Advertisement

News

Tough economy: Trouble in APC, as staff plan strike

Published

on

A loud grumbling has enveloped the 40 Blantyre Crescent, Wuse, Zone 2, Abuja, headquarters of the All Progressives Congress (APC), where staff across different departments are threatening to down tools in protest of poor welfare and biting economic hardship.

Daily Trust, is reporting that the staff are specifically asking the party’s top echelon to make provision for their housing and other allowances, stressing that the economic situation of the country had become quite unfavourable to them.

The paper quoted one of the staff, who spoke on condition of anonymity, as saying that the party’s executive members had left them to suffer, while taking home humongous amounts of money as salaries and allowances.

Though Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, National Chairman of the party, is said to have commenced payment of N35,000 provisional wage award to them in January 2024, they argued that the largesse would in June, and they would be back to square one and therefore, they needed more stable welfare packages.

Advertisement

In a swift riposte, Felix Morka, spokesman of the party, was quoted as dismissing the agitation, saying: “Those matters I don’t really discuss them. As you can see, there are many important things to discuss; at the national level, in Edo State. We are battling with all that. So, any in-house matters are not my focus right now.”

See also  Peseiro: Ivorians were better, our strategy failed *Eagles Return to Abuja, set to meet Tinubu
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Davido ups the ante, doles out N300million to orphanages

Published

on

David Adeleke Nigerian music sensation, otherwise known as Davido is stamping his giant feet with which he has mesmerised his audience across the world in the arena of philanthropy, with an announcement of a fresh donation of a whopping N300million to some orphanages across the country.

The latest is an increase of N63million up from the N237million the popular singer, who disclosed the largesse in a statement on his social media accounts on Tuesday, dolled out last year as part of the gesture in what is now turning out a yearly programme since it started a few years ago.

The gesture is coming at a time Nigeria is under an intense weather of deprivation and poverty, with the prices of food and other commodities hitting the roof and citizens, unable to afford basic items mostly going to bed on empty stomachs as a result.

In recent weeks, demonstrations had erupted in many parts of the country, including Niger, Kano, Ogun and Oyo States, where residents trooped into the streets to demand an end to the parlous situation, which they blamed on the insensitive policies of the government of Bola Tinubu, the Nigerian President.

Advertisement

The singer, who first gave out N250m to 292 orphanages in October 2022, said the this year’s donation would be done through The David Adeleke Foundation (DAF), adding: “I and my foundation pledge the sum of 300 million Naira to orphanages around Nigeria … as my yearly contribution to the nation. Details of disbursement tomorrow.”

See also  BREAKING: Killer of Ijeoma, Enugu makeup artist to die by hanging, four years after
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Tinubu set to probe Buhari’s N23trillion Ways and Means debt

Published

on

At last, President Bola Tinubu, may be going through the N23trillion Ways and Means debt obtained by his predecessor, Muhammadu Buhari, with a fine comb to determine what the funds, which is attributed to a major part of the current debt overhang in the country, went into.

The Nation, quoted Wale Edun, Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy as revealing this much to participants at the ongoing Public Wealth Management Conference organised by the Ministry of Finance Incorporated (MoFI).

Besides, the Minister reportedly said the Federal Government would also present a bill to the National Assembly, soon to authorise the removal of “all taxes and levies that constitute nuisance from the country’s tax system, as a measure to wean itself from future Ways and Means indebtedness.

The government, Edun added, will vigorously pursue policies that will allow it harvest revenue in real time from Government Owned Enterprises (GOEs) and Corporate entities.

Advertisement

It was also on the same day that the Minister explained that Tinubu’s administration inherited a surge in food and general commodity prices from the previous government, but emphasised the government’s commitment to reducing food prices and tackling the nation’s high inflation rate.

Outlining the measures government was taking in tackling the situation, he revealed that, the government had released 42,000 metric tons of grains, with an additional 60,000 metric tons scheduled for release soon.

See also  Exit of Niger, Mali, B’Faso from ECOWAS spells danger – ex-Minister *Fingers Russia’s effect
Continue Reading

Trending