Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Igwe, Abuja police boss, seven others now AIG, as PSC elevates officers

Published

on

Benneth Igwe, Commissioner of Police of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), is among the eight senior police officers that will wear the new rank of Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), following his elevation by the Police Service Commission (PSC), the body responsible for recruitment of policemen in Nigeria as well as the reward and punishment of the officer corps.

Ikechukwu Ani, spokesman of the commission, on Friday, said in a statement after the first Plenary Meeting of the new board of the commission, which took place on the same day that 684 senior Police Officers, benefitted from the promotion, including 15 Deputy Commissioners of Police (DCPs), who gained the new rank of Commissioner of Police (CPs).

Advertisement


The Meeting presided over by the Hashimu Argungu, a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), as the Chairman, also had in attendance Taiwo Lakanu, another retired DIG, and Onyemuche Nnamani, Secretary to the Commission, also approved the promotion of 52 Chief Superintendents of Police (CSPs) to the ranks of Assistant Commissioners of Police (ACPs), 525 Superintendents of Police (SPs) to the rank of Chief Superintendents of Police (CSPs) and 84 Deputy Superintendents of Police (DSPs) to SPs, with one Patrick Ebhodahe, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, elevated to the next rank of DSP.

The statement, which said that the eight Commissioners of Police and 15 Deputy Commissioners were subjected to critical assessments and examinations, a condition now precedent for their promotion to the new ranks, were enjoined by Argungu to engage in deliberate self-development through constant knowledge acquisition so as to be ready and equipped to face the challenges of 21st century policing.

Argungu, a lawyer, who once headed the legal department of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF), at the Sir Louis Edet headquarters in Abuja, was quoted as saying that henceforth officers must be subjected to formal examination before consideration for their promotion, stressing that “it is a requirement imposed on all Federal civil and public Servants by the Public Service Rules.”

Advertisement


Maintaining that the officers would not be an exemption from the examinations, stressed that the Commission must also ensure that promotions in the police would be merit based and predictable, while assuring that the body would, not for any reason delay the promotion of deserving Officers but insisted that it must be earned.

He congratulated the promoted Officers on their new ranks but called for greater dedication to the service of their fatherland. DIG Argungu said they must be deliberate , committed and focused in the fight against insurgency and banditry in the Country and charged them to go and free the nation from all forms of insecurity.

Apart from Igwe, the seven other CPs who gained the AIG rank, included Suleiman Mohammed Abdul, acting AIG (PAB), Force Headquarters Abuja; Augustina Nwuka Ogbodo, Ebonyi State Command; Stephen Olanrewaju, in charge of Administration, Works, Force Headquarters Abuja; Kenechukwu Onwuemelie, Abia State Command; Fayoade Adegoke Mustapha, Lagos State Command; Adegboyega Funsho Adegboye, Administration, FID, Abuja and Mohammed Bala Labbo, Communication DICT Force Headquarters, Abuja.

Advertisement


The statement, which stated that the decision had been sent to the Inspector General of Police (IGP), added: “The 15 Deputy Commissioners of Police elevated to substantive Commissioners of Police are; DCP Innocent Ifeanyi Emenari, DCP State CID Taraba State Command; DCP Betty Enekpen Otimenyin, DCP DFA, Zone 5 Benin; DCP James Iroegbunam Nwokolo, DC DFA, Edo State Command; DCP Felix Nka Oben, DC Federal Operations, Force Headquarters Annex Lagos; DCP Olusegun Eyitayo Omosayin DC Armament, Directorate of Operations, Force Headquarters Abuja; DCP Ugobueze Ogbodo, Deputy Commandant, Police Detective College Enugu; DCP Ohagwu Felix Ndukwe, DC Department of Operations, Zone 11 Osogbo and DCP Taylor Lennox Olarewaju, DC, CCR, Lagos State.

“Others are; DCP Sa’adatu Ismaila, DC Anti Human Trafficking Annex Lagos; DCP Olabode Adeleye Akinbamilowo, Deputy Force Secretary (DFS11), DCP Regina Cosmas Udoette, DC Department of Finance and Admin, Akwa Ibom State Command; DCP Francis Omatimeyin Gbiwen, DC, State CID Edo state Command; DCP Afolabi Wilfred Olatokunbo, DC Department of Finance and Admin, Delta State Command; DCP Ohiozoba Oyakhire Ehiede Acting CP Legal, FCID Force Headquarters Abuja and DCP Anthonia Adaku Uche-Anya, DC, Department of Finance and Admin FID.”

Advertisement


Share this story:

News

Fubara: I surrender *I’m not a coward, but… *Why Rivers gov quit!

Published

on

Battle-weary Siminalayi Fubara, has finally thrown in the towel in the three-plus-years political war with Nyesom Wike, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), linking his decision on the need for peace in the state rather than fear.

Harangued, harassed, lacerated and buffeted, since few days after inauguration as governor, including a six-month state of emergency slammed on the state by President Bola Tinubu, things eventually came to a head for Fubara, with a plot to bar him from contesting re-election in 2027, by another coordinated onslaught from his party – the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Advertisement


In a series of developments, which started emerging from the process towards choosing candidates for the polls, all APC members with a link to the governor, were disqualified from seeking their individual tickets by the APC screening committees set up for that purpose, while the hammer of rejection also continued to dangle on Fubara himself before his final decision to quit the race.

In a statement he signed on Wednesday night, he said: “As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace. Some truths are best borne quietly, not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose.”

The full statement read: “After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC gubernatorial primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party.

Advertisement


“Leadership is ultimately about sacrifice. There comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people. Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest.

“To my supporters who stood firmly with me throughout this journey who gave their time, resources, prayers, and unwavering hope, I offer my deepest gratitude. I understand the disappointment, the anger, and the pain many of you may feel. Much has indeed been invested and much sacrificed along the way. But please know that your loyalty and trust were never in vain. My silence over this period was deliberate and strategic, guided always by the higher interest of our state and our people.

“As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace. Some truths are best borne quietly, not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose. It is enough to say that I have faced immense pressures and difficult choices, but my love for Rivers State remains greater than anything else.

Advertisement


“I sincerely thank our great party, the All Progressives Congress, for the platform and support extended to me throughout this process. I also express my profound appreciation to His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for his support and encouragement.

“The APC remains our collective home, and I urge all party faithful and supporters to remain steadfast and committed as we continue to build a stronger and more united future together.

“Let it be clearly understood that I stepped aside from participating in the upcoming River’s state Gubernatorial election not out of weakness, fear, or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers State may move forward in peace and unity and I remain committed to serving the good people of Rivers state till the end of my term.”

Advertisement


Share this story:
Continue Reading

News

Obi on Jonathan: I’m minding my business *I’ll wipe away tears of Nigerians

Published

on

Peter Obi, candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 presidential election, virtually poured cold water on the burning issue of Goodluck Jonathan, for Nigerian President making a bid for the office he lost in 2915 to the late President Muhammadu Buhari, through the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Obi, who is also making another bid for the same office for the second time, told reporters on Tuesday, shortly getting a letter of clearance from the Nigerian Democratic Congress though he was not aware that the former President was contesting, he was in no position to obstruct the move as political choices were the rights of individuals to make.

Advertisement


Against the revelation by Babangida Aliyu, former Governor of Niger State, who spoke on behalf of Nemadi Sambo, Jonathan’s Vice President and currently in charge of the presidential screening of the Peoples Democratic Party, Obi told the reporters at the NDC National Secretariat in Abuja: “Actually, I’m not aware of that. But democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for.

“I’m not in any way going around looking for who and who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria.”

But he was quick to marshal out his plans for the country, declaring that under his presidency, Nigerians would be freed from daily lamentations coming from the parlous situation the present government of the All Progressives Congress (APC) led by President Bola Tinubu had plunged the country.

Advertisement


Hear him: “This I will do by first uniting the country because it’s not a united country. We have to govern the country by the Constitution of Nigeria, which stipulates federal character and inclusivity. The country must be united. The country must be secure.

“We want to see mothers no longer fear when their children go to school or work. We also want a country where we can travel all over Nigeria without fear. So many Nigerians today go to bed not knowing where the next meal will come from tomorrow. That must change.

“We must live in a country where people do not turn public assets and public wealth into private assets. So we must fight corruption to a standstill and make it work for everybody. Politicians are preoccupied with the next election when Nigerians are dying. That must stop.”

Advertisement


He also took time to explain the reason for the two-hour stretch of drilling during the screening. Saying: “This is democracy in action because NDC chooses to do things properly. So when we say this is going to be screening, it has to be done right.

“Nigerians want to know whether you meet the stipulated constitutional qualification and provide relevant documents to back them.

“This is the way to know whether everything you have said or declared is the truth and if you can answer questions posed about your commitment to building a united, secure and prosperous Nigeria. That’s why the screening took over two hours.”

Advertisement


Regarding his status as a sole candidate, Obi, who was accompanied by Victor Umeh, a long time ally and Senator representing Anambra Central at the National Assembly, said: “I don’t know who else has bought. So until the party says I’m the only one who expressed interest, that’s it.”

Advertisement


Share this story:
Continue Reading

News

Presidency: Obi met all requirements – NDC *Cleared to contest primaries

Published

on

Only an official pronouncement by the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), seems to be last barrier to cross for Peter Obi to appear on the ballot for the January 7, 2027 presidential, the second time he would be chasing the nation’s number one job.

That hurdle is also set to be cleared in no time, all things being equal, given the speed with which the party is taking to ensure that all the loose ends are tied in order to meet the deadline of the Independent National Electoral Commission for all parties to conclude their selection processes for all the candidates for next years general elections.

Advertisement


Against the backdrop of initial date of May 29 scheduled for the presidential primaries, Sam Egwu, Chairman of the screening committee for the presidential election, said on Tuesday night that the exercise would take place on a date to be announced.

He spoke on a day he handed Obi, the only candidate that bought form for the high office a clean bill of health to contest the election after a two-hour drill at the party secretariat in Abuja, on Tuesday night.

Egwu former Governor of Ebonyi State announced Obi’s clearance as the party’s sole presidential aspirant ahead of its forthcoming primaries, about two hours after the arrival of the former Governor of Anambra State, who would be running for the presidential office for a second time after the bid in 2023, where he was declared to have come third by the INEC, in a heavily-disputed outcome, in which his supporters claimed he clearly won.

Advertisement


Obi had arrived at the party secretariat at about 6:45pm on Tuesday, accompanied by Victor Umeh, senator representing Anambra central and immediately went into business, where he was drilled on his qualifications and intentions and other nuances of governance.

Egwu, who announced that the panel was satisfied with his performance, as he answered all questions correctly, told reporters who besieged the venue: “This is to certify that following the screening of the presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), His Excellency Peter Obi, and being satisfied that he has complied with all the requirements of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and all provisions of the Electoral Act, and the satisfactory answers given by him to all the questions from members of the national screening committee.

“He is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on a date to be announced by the party. Congratulations.”

Advertisement


He then presented an official clearance letter to Obi with the party’s official nomination form numbered 001.

Obi picked NDC presidential nomination and expression of interest forms on Sunday, May 17, the initial deadline set by the party for the collection of forms by all categories of aspirants.

On Monday, the party extended the deadline to May 24 to enable more aspirants pick forms, noting that the return of completed nomination forms for all screened and cleared aspirants would commence on Wednesday, May 20 and close on May 26.

Advertisement


However, the party did not extend the deadline for the collection of presidential nomination forms, noting that it had already closed.

Advertisement


Share this story:
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024. WhirlwindNews