Mohamed Bazoum, ousted President of Niger Republic, may be in deeper hole than just been stripped of power as the new military junta now in charge in the West African country, has vowed to make him account for his deeds in office, which could lead to treason charges, and probably death sentence.
Hours after seizing power on July 26, a viral video of a man identified as Ahmat Jiroud, the finance Minister in the government of Bazoum, crying profusely, after being told by the military government to account for the country’s stolen funds or face execution in 48 hours, surfaced in the social media
In what signaled a similar fate for the ousted President, on whose behest the Economic Community of West African States, have indicated plans to invade the country and restore to power, junta spokesperson of the military government, Colonel-Major Amadou Abdramane, was said to have revealed the plan in a message he read on national television late Sunday.
Abdramane, who was quoted as saying that Bazoum, would be prosecuted “for high treason and undermining the internal and external security of Niger,” reportedly alleged misinformation campaign against the new government to “derail any negotiated solution to the crisis in order to justify military intervention … in the name of ECOWAS.”
It is coming as the Authorities of Heads Government of the sub-regional group, which had earlier taken a rash of actions to push back against the coup, including imposition of sanctions with other measures including military invasion, during its first meeting on July 29, had announced last Thursday, the approval of the the deployment of a “standby force to restore constitutional order,” in the troubled country, as soon as possible, to go alongside with diplomatic dialogue.
Hostage talk: Israel still holding 7,000 Palestinians, 300 children – envoy
Any talk about releasing the hostages being held by HAMAS, without considering the 7,000 Palestinians held behind bars in Israel will not be complete, Abdullah Shawesh, The Palestinian Ambassador to Nigeria, has said, adding that holistic approach must be taken towards the Israelis- Palestinians hostage talk.
“The Israelis and the Palestinians and Gaza should be freed and likewise West Bank. That the people of Gaza should not be subjected to Israeli siege. We want the ceasefire and also to ensure that there is no one Israeli or Palestinian hostage. We hope that all the hostages that is Israelis and Palestinians go back to their homes tonight .
“It is very important and in this particular issue we need all to take it in a collective manner and not to talk about just the Israeli hostages. There are more than 7,000 Palestinians in the Israeli Jails. More than 300 children. More 2,600 from last escalation. All of them should be set freed. There cannot be peace as long as Israel has nuclear weapon, there cannot be peace as long as they continue to occupy us.”
Mutfwang: Don’t blame Tinubu, APC for your woes, Presidency tells PDP
Nobody should blame the All Progressives Congress (APC), President Bola Tinubu or anyone else for the travails of Caleb Mutfwang outside the Governor of Plateau State himself and his Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), for going rogue with the law.
This was the position of the Presidency, on Monday, as it argued that the fate both the governor and his party are suffering in the hands of the courts, is what other parties including the ruling APC had faced when they decided to brush aside the orders of court for impunity.
Bayo Onanuga, presidential spokesman, while reacting to the verdict of the Court of Appeal which sacked the governor on Sunday, after setting aside the judgement of the governorship election tribunal that initially upheld the result of the March 18, 2023, which declared him winner, said the PDP was simply benefitting from disobeying court orders ahead of the elections.
The Court, sitting in Abuja had in a ruling on Sunday removed Mutfwang and ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to withdraw Certificate of Return presented to him, and present same to Nentawe Yilwatda of the APC, who came second during the polls.
Onanuga, Special Adviser on Information and Strategy to the President, stressing that neither the judiciary nor the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), should be blamed for the outcome, pointed out how the APC suffered the same fate after the 2019 elections, when all the elected officials in Zamfara State, were sacked by the Supreme Court for refusing to follow due process in the nomination of candidates.
Hear him: “To those crying and complaining about the judgment of the Appeal Court in nullifying the Election of Governor Caleb Mutfwang, they seem to have forgotten history so quickly. In 2019, all Zamfara elected officials and members of the APC, from governor to state and National Assembly lawmakers lost their posts because the APC failed to carry out legally valid primaries. The PDP, failing to learn from history, repeated the same illegality, using an illegal caretaker committee to conduct primaries, despite a court order.
“Blame the PDP for the electoral setback, not the APC, the judiciary, INEC and President Tinubu. Non-compliance with the electoral law and the constitution is also at the root of the nullification of the election of Kano governor, Abba Yusuf. Those blaming the judiciary and being emotional about the ruling should face reality. Yusuf was sacked based on the law. I believe we all want our country to be guided by the rule of law.”
Man who killed two Lagos sweepers finally in police custody, to face manslaughter charge
Lagos State Police Command, has confirmed that the yet to be identified driver of the Honda saloon with the licence plate EPE 984 DV, which killed two sweepers from the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) on Monday morning, is currently in their custody.
Benjamin Hundeyin, a Superintendent of Police (SP) and spokesman of the command, who gave an update on the ghastly incident, which occurred on the Gbagada Motorway, said the driver, who fled the scene after the incident, had turned himself in and currently being held, preparatory to being charged to court.
Hundeyin, said: “The owner of the Honda Saloon car turned himself in yesterday (Monday) night and he will be taken to court today for manslaughter. It was not murder, it was an accident and was not deliberate, so he will be charged with manslaughter.”
The said driver, according to reports, had abandoned his car and fled on foot immediately after ramming into the sweepers while allegedly trying to escape from officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LSTMA).
December 3, 2023 3:02 pm
BREAKING: Stop these demolitions, you’re killing the people, Obi tells Lagos govt
It’s Tinubu’s budget of ‘hopelessness and pains,’ prepare for more hardship – PDP
No room for corruption in Abuja anymore – Wike * Says, Abuja metro ready in six months
BREAKING: Supreme Court on fire! Judges’ offices razed days after Atiku, Obi’s appeal!
Soyinka, Obi, Tinubu: When repayment of mafia debt is inescapable
In the military, INEC boss and his team would be executed – Bode George *Why put Tinubu’s boy in charge of IT?
News3 weeks ago
BREAKING: Another Anambra girl in fresh academic feat! *Emerges overall best in NECO *Gets national award
News4 weeks ago
BREAKING: Battle goes on – Obi *Says, S’Court destroyed confidence of Nigeria
Editorial4 weeks ago
Caveat emptor! Why Nigeria must watch France and its Abacha ‘Greek Gift’
Columns4 weeks ago
What Tinubu wants, he gets! Let him have his yacht, but let Nigerians breathe
News3 weeks ago
Tell the world how I made you, Adesuwa, Ighalo’s estranged wife tells ex-international
News4 weeks ago
BREAKING: Probe and make our CBN deals public, Dangote tells FG
News5 days ago
BREAKING: Kyari returns as MD, as Tinubu appoints new NNPC board
News4 weeks ago
S’Court: Obi spoke my mind – Kuhah *Nigerians must say no to injustice