Operatives of the Lagos State Police Command, are not only starving Afrobeats singer Seun Kuti, but keeping him away from his wife and members of his, his lawyers, have cried out, while updating the Nigerian public on the current state of things around the musician, who has been in police detention since Monday.
Kuti, the current leader of Egypt 80, has remained behind bars at the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID), Panti, Yaba, in Lagos Police since reporting at the Police Headquarters in Ikeja over his reported assault on a policeman on Saturday at the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos.
Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, lawer to embattled Kuti’s lawyer, in a statement, who slammed the investigation conducted by the Lagos police spokesman, Benjamin Hundeyin, on the slapping incident that led to the detention of Kuti, said he had not eaten since his ordeal because he was not provided with food, while his wife had been kept away from him.
Hear him: “Mr. Benjamin Hundeyin who goes by the formal title of Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer but doubles as the Investigating Police Officer into the case of alleged assault of a policeman by my client, Mr. Seun Kuti, has issued a Report of his investigative work.
“Mr. Seun Kuti would have expected that having completed his investigative work, Mr. Benjamin Hundeyin, a law enforcer, would proceed according to law by sending the file containing his report of investigation for legal evaluation towards possible prosecution.
“Mr. Seun Kuti is nevertheless not surprised that Mr. Benjamin Hundeyin chose instead to make his investigative report the subject of the media publication, as for instance, in the Punch online publication of Monday, May 15, 2023, titled ‘Assault: Seun Kuti apologised, gave cop ₦12,000 to repair the vehicle, police say.’ “According to Mr. Benjamin Hundeyin, in his investigative report handed over to The Punch, ‘Seun Kuti was the one that bashed the officer’s vehicle, and the policeman followed him to call his attention to it, but the musician alighted from his car and slapped the policeman as seen in the trending video. However, the officer reported the incident at the Police Command in Ikeja.
“The policeman was alone. After the altercation, he followed Seun Kuti to his home in Ikeja, and the musician apologised to the policeman and gave him ₦12,000 to repair his damaged vehicle. But the officer reported the incident at the Area F Police Command in Ikeja, and deposited the ₦12,000 at the counter while he gave a written statement concerning the incident.
“Although he had been with the Police since 8:00 am on Monday 15th May 2023, Mr. Seun Kuti notes that it was at about 8:00 pm that day, after Mr. Benjamin Hundeyin had already completed and published his investigative report above, that he was asked to make a statement to the Police at the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, Yaba.
“Mr. Seun Kuti has therefore volunteered to his interlocutors a statement to the effect that since Mr. Benjamin Hundeyin has already done the investigation and issued and published his report on it, there was no useful purpose to be served by any statement from him. He will, at the right time and place, and in as rigorous a manner possible under the law, defend himself against Mr. Hundeyin’s published ‘investigative findings’.
“The consequence of this for Mr. Seun Kuti was that his wife was refused the “privilege” of delivering a meal to him, even though there was no other arrangement in place to have him fed. We await the next move of the Police on the allegation of crime against Mr. Seun Kuti.”
Hostage talk: Israel still holding 7,000 Palestinians, 300 children – envoy
Any talk about releasing the hostages being held by HAMAS, without considering the 7,000 Palestinians held behind bars in Israel will not be complete, Abdullah Shawesh, The Palestinian Ambassador to Nigeria, has said, adding that holistic approach must be taken towards the Israelis- Palestinians hostage talk.
“The Israelis and the Palestinians and Gaza should be freed and likewise West Bank. That the people of Gaza should not be subjected to Israeli siege. We want the ceasefire and also to ensure that there is no one Israeli or Palestinian hostage. We hope that all the hostages that is Israelis and Palestinians go back to their homes tonight .
“It is very important and in this particular issue we need all to take it in a collective manner and not to talk about just the Israeli hostages. There are more than 7,000 Palestinians in the Israeli Jails. More than 300 children. More 2,600 from last escalation. All of them should be set freed. There cannot be peace as long as Israel has nuclear weapon, there cannot be peace as long as they continue to occupy us.”
Mutfwang: Don’t blame Tinubu, APC for your woes, Presidency tells PDP
Nobody should blame the All Progressives Congress (APC), President Bola Tinubu or anyone else for the travails of Caleb Mutfwang outside the Governor of Plateau State himself and his Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), for going rogue with the law.
This was the position of the Presidency, on Monday, as it argued that the fate both the governor and his party are suffering in the hands of the courts, is what other parties including the ruling APC had faced when they decided to brush aside the orders of court for impunity.
Bayo Onanuga, presidential spokesman, while reacting to the verdict of the Court of Appeal which sacked the governor on Sunday, after setting aside the judgement of the governorship election tribunal that initially upheld the result of the March 18, 2023, which declared him winner, said the PDP was simply benefitting from disobeying court orders ahead of the elections.
The Court, sitting in Abuja had in a ruling on Sunday removed Mutfwang and ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to withdraw Certificate of Return presented to him, and present same to Nentawe Yilwatda of the APC, who came second during the polls.
Onanuga, Special Adviser on Information and Strategy to the President, stressing that neither the judiciary nor the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), should be blamed for the outcome, pointed out how the APC suffered the same fate after the 2019 elections, when all the elected officials in Zamfara State, were sacked by the Supreme Court for refusing to follow due process in the nomination of candidates.
Hear him: “To those crying and complaining about the judgment of the Appeal Court in nullifying the Election of Governor Caleb Mutfwang, they seem to have forgotten history so quickly. In 2019, all Zamfara elected officials and members of the APC, from governor to state and National Assembly lawmakers lost their posts because the APC failed to carry out legally valid primaries. The PDP, failing to learn from history, repeated the same illegality, using an illegal caretaker committee to conduct primaries, despite a court order.
“Blame the PDP for the electoral setback, not the APC, the judiciary, INEC and President Tinubu. Non-compliance with the electoral law and the constitution is also at the root of the nullification of the election of Kano governor, Abba Yusuf. Those blaming the judiciary and being emotional about the ruling should face reality. Yusuf was sacked based on the law. I believe we all want our country to be guided by the rule of law.”
Man who killed two Lagos sweepers finally in police custody, to face manslaughter charge
Lagos State Police Command, has confirmed that the yet to be identified driver of the Honda saloon with the licence plate EPE 984 DV, which killed two sweepers from the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) on Monday morning, is currently in their custody.
Benjamin Hundeyin, a Superintendent of Police (SP) and spokesman of the command, who gave an update on the ghastly incident, which occurred on the Gbagada Motorway, said the driver, who fled the scene after the incident, had turned himself in and currently being held, preparatory to being charged to court.
Hundeyin, said: “The owner of the Honda Saloon car turned himself in yesterday (Monday) night and he will be taken to court today for manslaughter. It was not murder, it was an accident and was not deliberate, so he will be charged with manslaughter.”
The said driver, according to reports, had abandoned his car and fled on foot immediately after ramming into the sweepers while allegedly trying to escape from officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LSTMA).
December 1, 2023 7:43 am
BREAKING: Stop these demolitions, you’re killing the people, Obi tells Lagos govt
It’s Tinubu’s budget of ‘hopelessness and pains,’ prepare for more hardship – PDP
No room for corruption in Abuja anymore – Wike * Says, Abuja metro ready in six months
BREAKING: Supreme Court on fire! Judges’ offices razed days after Atiku, Obi’s appeal!
Soyinka, Obi, Tinubu: When repayment of mafia debt is inescapable
In the military, INEC boss and his team would be executed – Bode George *Why put Tinubu’s boy in charge of IT?
News3 weeks ago
BREAKING: Another Anambra girl in fresh academic feat! *Emerges overall best in NECO *Gets national award
News4 weeks ago
BREAKING: Battle goes on – Obi *Says, S’Court destroyed confidence of Nigeria
Editorial4 weeks ago
Caveat emptor! Why Nigeria must watch France and its Abacha ‘Greek Gift’
Columns4 weeks ago
What Tinubu wants, he gets! Let him have his yacht, but let Nigerians breathe
News2 weeks ago
Tell the world how I made you, Adesuwa, Ighalo’s estranged wife tells ex-international
News4 weeks ago
BREAKING: Probe and make our CBN deals public, Dangote tells FG
News3 days ago
BREAKING: Kyari returns as MD, as Tinubu appoints new NNPC board
News3 weeks ago
S’Court: Obi spoke my mind – Kuhah *Nigerians must say no to injustice