Connect with us

News

My worse fears confirmed in Rivers – Atiku

Published

on

Those behind the bombing at the campaign rally in Port Harcourt, must be fished out and punished according to law, because Nigeria cannot afford to descend into bloodshed through electoral violence, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, on Thursday.

Condemning the incident, which occurred during the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers state, Atiku said it had confirmed the worst fears of his camp that some political actors were not willing to play by the rules and would rather descend to bloodshed instead of adhering to sound democratic ethos.

The Rivers State Police Command, had however debunked a statement by the APC through Darlington Nwauju, its spokesperson, in the state, claiming that there was an explosion on Thursday during the party’s governorship rally at Ojukwu field, Rumuwoji community in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

Grace Iringe-Koko, spokesperson of the command in debunking Nwauju’s claim, had explained that no explosion occurred, adding that the incident was a clash between the community members and party supporters.

Advertisement

Regardless, Atiku, who seemed not persuaded by the police denial, took to his Twitter handle to state his position, saying he stood not only with the APC, but the families of those injured, because there should be no room for violence against political opponents.

He wrote: “There should be no place for violence and anti-democratic manifestations in this election. We’ve already committed to that in the peace pact we all signed up to. Elections are not a do-or-die affair but an opportunity to reinforce our belief in democracy through our leadership choices via adult suffrage.

See also  BREAKING: Fubara triumphs! S’Court confirms him duly elected as Rivers gov

“We had complained about the violence that had been visited on our party in some states because we did not want it to become a pattern if those engaged in anti-democratic activities were not brought to book. Our worst fears have now manifested with the explosion at the APC rally in Port Harcourt. It stands condemned.

“Elections and the choices we make should be about the ballot and not the bullet. On behalf of my team, I stand in solidarity with the APC and the families of the injured. I wish the injured a quick recovery. Those behind this dastardly act, including their promoters” are brought to justice to serve as a deterrent to “copycats who may be emboldened to thread this same anti-democratic path.”

Advertisement

News

Tough economy: Trouble in APC, as staff plan strike

Published

on

A loud grumbling has enveloped the 40 Blantyre Crescent, Wuse, Zone 2, Abuja, headquarters of the All Progressives Congress (APC), where staff across different departments are threatening to down tools in protest of poor welfare and biting economic hardship.

Daily Trust, is reporting that the staff are specifically asking the party’s top echelon to make provision for their housing and other allowances, stressing that the economic situation of the country had become quite unfavourable to them.

The paper quoted one of the staff, who spoke on condition of anonymity, as saying that the party’s executive members had left them to suffer, while taking home humongous amounts of money as salaries and allowances.

Though Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, National Chairman of the party, is said to have commenced payment of N35,000 provisional wage award to them in January 2024, they argued that the largesse would in June, and they would be back to square one and therefore, they needed more stable welfare packages.

Advertisement

In a swift riposte, Felix Morka, spokesman of the party, was quoted as dismissing the agitation, saying: “Those matters I don’t really discuss them. As you can see, there are many important things to discuss; at the national level, in Edo State. We are battling with all that. So, any in-house matters are not my focus right now.”

See also  My encounter with UNN Prof now suffering in penury, by Peter Obi
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Davido ups the ante, doles out N300million to orphanages

Published

on

David Adeleke Nigerian music sensation, otherwise known as Davido is stamping his giant feet with which he has mesmerised his audience across the world in the arena of philanthropy, with an announcement of a fresh donation of a whopping N300million to some orphanages across the country.

The latest is an increase of N63million up from the N237million the popular singer, who disclosed the largesse in a statement on his social media accounts on Tuesday, dolled out last year as part of the gesture in what is now turning out a yearly programme since it started a few years ago.

The gesture is coming at a time Nigeria is under an intense weather of deprivation and poverty, with the prices of food and other commodities hitting the roof and citizens, unable to afford basic items mostly going to bed on empty stomachs as a result.

In recent weeks, demonstrations had erupted in many parts of the country, including Niger, Kano, Ogun and Oyo States, where residents trooped into the streets to demand an end to the parlous situation, which they blamed on the insensitive policies of the government of Bola Tinubu, the Nigerian President.

Advertisement

The singer, who first gave out N250m to 292 orphanages in October 2022, said the this year’s donation would be done through The David Adeleke Foundation (DAF), adding: “I and my foundation pledge the sum of 300 million Naira to orphanages around Nigeria … as my yearly contribution to the nation. Details of disbursement tomorrow.”

See also  BREAKING: Fubara triumphs! S’Court confirms him duly elected as Rivers gov
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Tinubu set to probe Buhari’s N23trillion Ways and Means debt

Published

on

At last, President Bola Tinubu, may be going through the N23trillion Ways and Means debt obtained by his predecessor, Muhammadu Buhari, with a fine comb to determine what the funds, which is attributed to a major part of the current debt overhang in the country, went into.

The Nation, quoted Wale Edun, Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy as revealing this much to participants at the ongoing Public Wealth Management Conference organised by the Ministry of Finance Incorporated (MoFI).

Besides, the Minister reportedly said the Federal Government would also present a bill to the National Assembly, soon to authorise the removal of “all taxes and levies that constitute nuisance from the country’s tax system, as a measure to wean itself from future Ways and Means indebtedness.

The government, Edun added, will vigorously pursue policies that will allow it harvest revenue in real time from Government Owned Enterprises (GOEs) and Corporate entities.

Advertisement

It was also on the same day that the Minister explained that Tinubu’s administration inherited a surge in food and general commodity prices from the previous government, but emphasised the government’s commitment to reducing food prices and tackling the nation’s high inflation rate.

Outlining the measures government was taking in tackling the situation, he revealed that, the government had released 42,000 metric tons of grains, with an additional 60,000 metric tons scheduled for release soon.

See also  Navalny: Again, Europe moves against Russia, demands explanation over opposition leader’s death
Continue Reading

Trending