Connect with us

World News

Scare in the US! Flight operations halted *1,230 flights affected *Biden orders probe

Published

on

The White House said there is no evidence of cyberattack, adding that President Joe Biden has been briefed. US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg also said he is in contact with the Federal Aviation Authority.

At least, 1,230 flights were forced to a halt their operations, following a massive force majeure in the US aviation industry on Wednesday, due to what authorities explained resulted from system failure.

Though it is not known whether the delays in the operation were all due to the development, the United States Federal Aviation Authority, reportedly ordered domestic departures to stop operations until 9:00 am on Wednesday after a system outage halted flight operations across the country.

A report on Channels Television in Nigeria, quoting reports, said: “The FAA is still working to fully restore the Notice to Air Missions (NOTAM) system following an outage,” the agency said in a statement, adding that while “some functions are beginning to come back on line, National Airspace System operations remain limited.”

Advertisement

The report, which quoted the FAA as saying that the process of  NOTAM, a system that provides information to flight crews about hazards, changes to airport facilities and other essential information on procedures, was “impaired,” also cited United Airlines, the major US airliner as saying, shortly after the announcement it had “temporarily delayed all domestic flights” due to the outage.

“There were at least 1,230 flights delayed in the United States by 7:00 am US Eastern time (12:00 GMT), flight tracking website Flight Aware data showed, although it was unclear how many of those delays were related to the outage,” the report in the Nigerian main TV network, said, adding that the US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said he was in contact with the FAA.

See also  Navalny: Again, Europe moves against Russia, demands explanation over opposition leader’s death

“I have been in touch with FAA this morning about an outage affecting a key system for providing safety information to pilots,” he tweeted.

“FAA is working to resolve this issue swiftly and safely so that air traffic can resume normal operations, and will continue to provide updates.”

The report, which said the US President, Joe Biden, had already been briefed, added that the White House, the US seat of power in Washington, said the development was not being linked to cyberattack “at this point,” stating: “The President has been briefed by the secretary of transportation this morning on the FAA system outage. There is no evidence of a cyberattack at this point, but the President directed DOT to conduct a full investigation into the causes. The FAA will provide regular updates,” tweeted Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, referring to the transport department and federal aviation authority.

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Navalny: Again, Europe moves against Russia, demands explanation over opposition leader’s death

Published

on

A groundswell of pressure is being mounted from many countries in Europe on Russia over the death of opposition leader Alexei Navalny, many of them summoning diplomats in their countries to explain the situation.

Apart from the United Kingdom government, other countries seeking full explanations over the death of the 47-year-old strong opposition leader, serving a 19-year sentence, said to have occurred in a Russian prison include Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Navalny, who created an uproar across the world when he nearly died of poisoning in 2020, was said to have died in a remote prison in the Arctic, on Friday, an incident many Western countries, which accused Kremlin of the poisoning incident, blame on Moscow.

The incident, coming a month ahead of presidential elections, which incumbent Vladimir Putin is favoured to win, has further hit a heavy blow on the opposition politics in the country, as Navalny is seen as rallying point against the Russian strongman.

Advertisement

However, Yulia Navalnaya, the widow of the Russian opposition leader, was quoted as vowing on Monday to carry on her husband’s work, saying she would continue to fight for the freedom of Russians and the country, calling on the people to stand with her as the struggle moved into the next stage.

“It is terrible that Alexei Navalny has paid the ultimate price for his fight for a free and democratic Russia,” Hanke Bruins Slot, the Netherlands’ foreign affairs minister, posted on X, formerly Twitter.

“This afternoon, I summoned the Russian ambassador to the ministry to demand clarification on his death,” she said late Monday. “We strongly urge Russia to release Navalny’s body to his family and relatives.”

See also  Navalny: Again, Europe moves against Russia, demands explanation over opposition leader’s death

It came with Minister Tobias Billstrom Foreign Minister of Sweden who made the same claim on Monday, saying in a statement he had summoned Russia’s ambassador, and called for the European Union to consider “a new sanctions regime targeting the internal repression in Russia.” 

Earlier before then, Jose Manuel Albares, Foreign Minister of Spain, had said on Friday, that his country was demanding that the circumstances of the death be clarified.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

News

Police kills woman who invaded a church with blazing gun

Published

on

A woman has been shot and killed after police responded to her spontaneous shooting as she entered at church in Houston, Texas, injuring a five-year old child, while many worshippers scampered away in different directions.

Reports say the incident occurred at a celebrity non-denominational church, and one of the largest religious venues in the United States, owned by Pastor Joel Osteen, with the said woman with a child and armed with a long gun releasing shots, quoting Houston police chief Troy Finner as telling reporters.

Off-duty police officers working security at the venue quickly, were said to have shot back and killed her at the church, said to be a converted former sports arena which could seat some 16,800 people, Finner was quoted as saying, adding “a five-year-old kid was hit and is in critical condition at our local hospital.”

“Another man in his 50s who didn’t have anything to do with it, I don’t think is being treated for a gunshot wound to the leg,” he said.

Advertisement

One witnessed was quoted as saying: “When I entered the sanctuary I saw people running and saying: they are shooting, they are shooting, and we could hear gunshots. We tried to open some doors in the hallway but they were locked. Some people went out to get to their cars, but others like me did not know where to go.

“A church volunteer hid them in the bathroom, piling furniture up against the doors and warning them not to move. There were children on the third and fourth floors, the parents were worried about the children. We put things in God’s hands.”

See also  Navalny: Again, Europe moves against Russia, demands explanation over opposition leader’s death

Continue Reading

News

UK suspends British-Nigerian MP for anti-Israel comments on Gaza

Published

on

Despite immediate apologies she tendered over the matter, the United Kingdom has suspended British-Nigerian minister MP Kate Osamor for including Israel in the list of countries committing genocide following the country’s activities in the Gaza strip.

In the remark she made on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day, Osamor, had added Gaza to the list of ‘recent genocides,’ in her statement via a weekly newsletter, where she posted a photo of herself signing the Holocaust Education Trust’s commemoration book in Westminster.

The outing, which was followed with a post on her X, where she wrote: “Tomorrow is Holocaust Memorial Day, an international day to remember the six million Jews murdered during the Holocaust, the millions of other people murdered under Nazi persecution of other groups and more recent genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and now Gaza,” had caused outrage.

Osamor, however, quickly beat a retreat, by later posting an apology on social media on Friday night, through the same X, where she wrote ‘Holocaust Memorial Day is a day to remember the 6 million Jews killed in the Holocaust and the genocides that have occurred since. I apologise for any offence caused by my reference to the ongoing humanitarian disaster in Gaza as part of that period of remembrance.”

Advertisement

The Board of Deputies, the Jewish Labour Movement, and the Holocaust Educational Trust reacted to her controversial remarks, while MailOnline, quoted a Labour source as confirming on Sunday evening that the Chief Whip suspended Osamor from the Parliamentary Labour Party pending an investigation.

A spokesperson for Campaign Against Antisemitism, was also quoted as saying: ‘The International Definition of Antisemitism, adopted by the Labour Party, lists comparing Israel to Nazis as an example of antisemitism. That is what Kate Osamor effectively did.

See also  Police kills woman who invaded a church with blazing gun

“The Labour Party has acted correctly in taking swift action against Ms Osamor and we will be following the matter with interest. There are some who wish to drag the Party backwards to darker days when views like those expressed by Ms Osamor were common, and they must fail.’

A Jewish Labour Movement spokesperson added, “This is wholly inappropriate. This week we have been commemorating the murder of six million Jews in the Holocaust – and those who perished in subsequent genocides, as listed by the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust. Unilaterally co-opting the war in Gaza, despite the horrific suffering there, on to that list is wrong and offensive.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending